Pages

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Playing around with quilt design

I've got two projects in the works for family members, but because I'm somewhat obsessed with fabric, I can't help myself but plan another quilt of my fabric choice. When I was looking for fabric for my mom, I stumbled on this:

So funky!  And it has owls!
I love messy, funky fabric - so obviously this collection appeals to me.  As I said in an earlier post, I'm considering trying something other than squares sometime soon. I found a post on a discussion board that explained how to use Gimp (an open source photoshop alternative) to design quilts, so I gave it a go!

Quilt I designed to use with the Owlivia fabric.
I tried to stay fairy simple - some chevrons and strips. I think I need to edge the chevrons with gray or another neutral, though, because this is really busy fabric. It might still be too busy though - I need to ponder this one some more.

Oh, and here is the link to how to design quilts with Gimp:  http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/designing-quilt-gimp-free-software-t141145.html  It was pretty easy, but I already use Gimp, because I'm primarily an Ubuntu Linux user. I don't think it would be too hard to learn for this purpose, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment