Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quilting Frenzy!


Since I've been on a roll lately, I decided to finish up the quilt I'd planned on making for my mom. Then, I remembered I had a whole bunch of jelly rolls laying around and decided to do another one for me. I'm going to probably need to stop for awhile after this!!


Quilt for my mom



Quilt for me!





This first quilt is just another simple patchwork quilt for my mom - she specifically requested simple. I also had her pick out the fabric.








This quilt was made from a "Dancing in Rain" Layer Cake (which really sped up the process!). This is definitely my fastest quilt yet; I started it in the morning and was done by 4pm (and that was with a trip to Joann's for more batting). 



For my quilt (the second one), I used about three (give or take) jelly rolls. I based this quilt off of this tutorial for the "Strip and Flip Quilt." Although, I didn't count my stripes, I just kind of kept going until it seemed long enough. I used all clearance and grab bag jelly rolls to keep the cost down - plus I love the randomness of grab bag fabrics. I found some good deals at JellyRollFabric.net and at Joann's with coupons.

To make this, I put the strips in order by color (through the spectrum) and then sewed them together. Then, I cut off 6" from the far right and then another 5" (the original tutorial calls for 8" and 5", but I didn't remember the exact numbers when I was making mine and just kind of winged it). I think either looks nice, anyways!  Then, flip the middle strip around (so that the rainbow is going the opposite direction, and sew back together with some sort of neutral strips between them). The tutorial on "Cluck Cluck Sew" is probably easier to follow (and has pictures)!

This is a super fast, easy and cheap (if done with clearance fabric) quilt. I'm definitely going to make another!

Anyway, here's the end result:

Strip and Flip Quilt


Notice the rug rat determined to rip pretty quilt from the wall.

It's pretty wrinkled on the back (I still need to run it through the wash
to get out the spray batting adhesive), but you get the idea. 












2 comments:

  1. these are so beautiful!!! i didn't know you quilted! someday i'd love to learn how. i love these so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I started last summer. I only make really fast and easy quilts because I am impatient, so these are easy to learn to do (with a sewing machine)!

      Delete