Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Naptime quilt made from abandoned Turning Twenty quilt

Recently, my daughter was moved over to the toddler class at daycare and I was informed she needs a blanket for naptime. Since we, like most new parents, were told to never ever put a blanket anywhere near a crib for the first year, we have a strange shortage of baby blankets in the house. Instead of purchasing one, I decided to turn an abandoned quilt into her nap blanket.

Last year I started a Turning Twenty quilt, but mid-way through decided I didn't like anything about it. The colors were too almost-pastel, I had two colors in the mix that were similar and causing problems with the pattern (they kept winding up next to each other), and I just didn't like the quilt. For a nap quilt, though, this might be perfect. It's going to get washed a lot and might get ruined anyways, so it seemed like a perfect use for a scrapped project!

I managed to put this together during one of her naps (which is fitting), so that means it's messy, none of the seams are particularly straight, and the pattern isn't really well balanced. But, hey, it only took a little over an hour! Disclaimer: I already had the turning twenty squares done, so it was just a matter of sewing them together, assembling the quilt sandwich, quilting it with a few (kind of) straight runs of the sewing machine, and sewing on the binding (again, not particularly straight).

Amazingly, I had exactly the right amount of everything I needed. I had just enough batting left from another project and the exact right length of satin blanket binding.  I normally wouldn't use satin binding for a quilt, but I kind of like it for this purpose.

So, without further ado, here is the fastest quilt I've made to date:






No comments:

Post a Comment