Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

Wonder Woman Tutu

My friend's son will be having a super hero themed costume birthday party next month. Even though my daughter is too young to really enjoy dress up (she'll be 11 months), I decided she needed a kick ass super hero costume. There aren't a whole lot of choices for a) babies and b) girls in the super-hero-costume category, but I did find a pretty cool wonder woman onesie at superherostuff.com. I realize I could have gotten her a boy's costume, but the feminist came out in me and I was determined to find a kick ass female super hero for Sylvie to dress up as, because, well, girl power!

Wonder Woman Onesie!


Since there was not a bottom to wear, and while Wonder Woman may have run around in the equivalent of a bathing suit, I would like Sylvie to be a little more dressed in public. Then, today while at Joann's buying more quilting fabric, I got into a conversation with a very nice woman working at the cutting counter who explained to me that I could make a tutu simply by cutting up tulle and tying it onto a elastic crocheted headband!  And - Sylvie's Spectacular Super Woman Super  Hero costume was born!



 Since Sylvie is only 11 months old, I used two yards of tulle, one yard medium blue, one dark blue, and a red headband. The headband was $1.50 and the fabric was $3.25 - how amazing and cheap is that!
Basic directions:

  1. Cut up the tulle into strips (about 7ish inches wide, and maybe 2 feet long - I didn't measure any of this so this is a guess). 
  2. Put the elastic headband around something (like a book, or 2-liter pop bottle) so that you can easily work with it.
  3. Then, fold the tulle in half and pull a little bit of the folded side through the elastic, so that there is a little loop of fabric. 
  4. Then, pull the rest of the fabric through the loop and pull tight.






Edit:  Here's the final result with the costume!



No comments:

Post a Comment